Villa Serbelloni is situated on the wooded promontory where the medieval castle was built ; in 1375 Galeazzo Visconti razed it to the ground. In 1485 Marchese Stanga was the owner until 1533 when Vittorio Sfondrati bought the promontory . The Sfondratis built the villa in 1605 and in 1788 it was bought by the Serbelloni, a Milanese family who developed the property and the garden. In 1870 construction work started on a luxurious holiday villa on the banks of the lake for an aristocratic family from Milan. The estate was given to the Rockefeller foundation in the late 1950 and the villa is now used as a conference centre and as an international study centre.
It is one of the best of the Lake , the luxurious vegetation of its Italian-style gardens, abounding in Mediterranean and subtropical plants, flourishes in the pleasant microclimate around the lake. The lower part of the garden is an informal parkland planted with olives trees and Italian Cypresses. The upper garden is mainly woodland . The part of the garden near to the house consists of three curved terraces on which there are flowering plants and shrubs. A separate small garden has a fountain dedicated to Cecilio Plinio.
Winston Churchill, Roosevelt, the Rothschilds, J.F. Kennedy; , Clark Gable, Robert Mitchum, Al Pacino these are some
of the famous guests who have strolled through the rooms and lakeside gardens of the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni,
Gianfranco Bucher the heir of a family who for five generations has made high class hotel hospitality his life's ideal.
Back to Monuments and Villas