Santa Maria di Loppia
The Church of St. Maria of Loppia has features of remarkable antiquity; the shape of the windows and of the apse, the absence of decorations and the material of execution make suppose that the building was made at the end of the X century.
Originally it was built by an irregular trapezium aisle with semicircular apse.
The lateral windows are long, double splay, disposed with irregular intervals, four towards South and three towards North. The windows of the apse are instead wider. A small cross- shape window on the fašade has its pendant to the back.
The church became a property of the Benedictine nuns who modified it by ceiling the aisle and by building a small convent next to the church.
The church became in 1775 a property of the Venini family, who had to knock down the convent for the building of the wide
path of Villa Giulia.
Back to Monuments and Villas